At Oakrun Farm Bakery we are committed to reducing our environmental impact. This commitment is a cornerstone of our corporate values and strategic goals.
In 2010 we conducted a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of our entire business to help us better understand how our facilities and the lifecycle of our products impact the environment and how we can take steps to reduce our footprint. We will repeat this assessment every year to measure our performance against established goals.
The LCA results and analysis have allowed us to identify and prioritize key projects to improve Oakrun Farm Bakery’s sustainability practices in several areas: packaging, energy efficiency, sustainable manufacturing practices, waste management, transportation, and improved end-of-life packaging.
Here are just a few areas where we are focusing our efforts:
- Reducing packaging impact by 5% by 2013
- Utilizing reusable and recyclable packaging
- Providing sustainable packaging alternatives to our customers
- Conversion to PET from PS packaging
- Developing sustainable manufacturing practices
- Performing energy efficiency audits to reduce our energy consumption
- Performing water consumption diagnostics and defining water consumption reduction objectives
- Monitoring inventory levels to reduce energy required for frozen product storage
- Load consolidation and the use of carriers enrolled in the Smartway Carrier program to lower distribution emissions
- Recovery of our food waste for animal feeding
Oakrun Toxics Reduction Plan
Ontario Toxics Reduction Program is put together to improve the protection of the environment and human health by requiring regulated facilities to account, plan and publicly report efforts to reduce the use and creation of prescribed toxic substance. Oakrun has put together their reduction plan with respective toxics and as a part of the program, Oakrun is required to make this information accessible for the public.